Australia Votes 2016

The latest news, analysis and colour from the campaign trail from around the ABC.

 

Three former Khmer Rouge leaders to remain in custody

Three former Khmer Rouge leaders to remain in custody

Three former Khmer Rouge leaders to remain in custody

Updated 19 December 2011, 13:02 AEDT

A former Khmer Rouge head of state and two other regime ministers will remain in custody of Cambodia's UN-backed genocide court for at least another year.

Investigating judge You Bunleng says they have decided to renew former head of state Khieu Samphan's detention due to expire Wednesday.

It was feared he may flee or the 77-year old's safety may be in jeopardy.

Khieu Samphan's lawyer Sa Sovan said he would appeal the decision against his client, who is accused of war crimes and crimes against humanity for his alleged role during the regime's brutal 1975-1979 rule.

Judges had already decided to continue to hold the regime's former foreign minister Ieng Sary and his wife Ieng Thirith.

Topics: