The pledge came hours after the country's fledgling parliament passed a motion calling for a halt to the fighting, which has left dozens reported dead and marred optimism about the country's political reforms.
"The commander in chief reaffirmed that the Tatmadaw (military) will follow the command of the president not to carry out offensive attacks except in self-defence," the information ministry said in a statement.
"But in an armed conflict, both sides need to halt attacks to cool tensions," the statement added, accusing the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) of launching dozens of attacks on roads and the rail network.
The halt is to take effect from 6:00am Saturday (local time).
Tens of thousands of people have been displaced in the state since June 2011, when a 17-year ceasefire between the government and the KIA broke down.
Kachin rebels last week claimed three civilians were killed and six wounded by the government attacks in the area.
The country's quasi-civilian government has reached tentative ceasefires with a number of major ethnic rebel groups since taking power in early 2011, but several rounds of talks with Kachin rebels have shown little progress.
The Kachin rebels would not immediately commit to uphold the truce.
The chief of the KIA's negotiation team, Sumlut Gam, said the announcement was "good to hear" but the KIA would hold off discussion of Burma's ceasefire order until Saturday.
He had been unaware of the broadcast.
Mark Farmaner, director of the human rights group Burma Campaign UK, said the KIA withdrew soldiers from the La Ja Yang area after a successful offensive by Burmese troops.
"The offensive has ended because they won the battle, but they are trying to spin that they are responding to parliament," he said.
"Praising the Burmese government for ending this offensive would be praising them for winning a battle where they also killed civilians."