Thousands of people in New South Wales are enduring another uncertain night as the state's bushfire situation remains dynamic and dangerous.
There are scenes of devastation in many parts of the state following Thursday's fire emergency, which has claimed at least one life and destroyed hundreds of homes.
An early count of the worst-hit areas of the Blue Mountains has confirmed at least 80 properties destroyed and dozens more damaged.
More than 80 blazes are still burning across New South Wales, many still uncontained - burning through a total of 91,000 hectares so far.
More than 2,000 firefighters, including interstate reinforcements, continue to fight fires across the state, with a number of those blazes burning uncontained.
Fire authorities hope to continue taking advantage of cooler conditions throughout Saturday before the heat picks up again on Sunday.
There were no emergency warnings in place early Saturday morning, but the Rural Fire Service says the danger has not passed.
"Just because they are not an emergency warning it does not mean the threat is over," said Alex Chesser from the RFS.
"These fires are all quite large and still burning aggressively at parts, and people still need to remain vigilant and ensure that they keep up to date with the bushfire situation."
At 1:30am (AEDT) there were six watch-and-act warnings in place for fires at Springwood, Mount Victoria, Wyong, Heatherbrae, Balmoral Village, and the State Mine fire between Lithgow and Bilpin.
Authorities are beginning to get a clearer picture of the scale of destruction and say hundreds of homes have been lost across the state.
In the worst-hit areas in the Blue Mountains, the Rural Fire Service says 30 per cent of properties have been inspected, with 81 confirmed lost and 37 damaged.
RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons fought back tears today while describing how some firefighters have lost their own homes in the crisis.
"We are going to ... continue to save life and to protect as much property as possible, but at the same time slowly take advantage of the weather conditions," he said.
Fire intensity unusual in spring
Former RFS commissioner Phil Koperberg has been appointed the bushfire recovery coordinator for the Blue Mountains area.
He told The Drum that fire emergencies of this size are rare in Spring.
"Australia is prone to fires of this nature, some are intense, some not so, but rarely do you see a fire of this intensity going through an area such as this so early in the bushfire season," he said.
"We're only in October, the summer has not yet begun. So from that point of view and from the point of view that it's sped through the area with great velocity, it was unique."
The Central Coast blaze was described as "apocalyptic" by residents with at least five historical buildings in the seaside town of Catherine Hill Bay reduced to charred ruins or badly damaged.
"It was huge, strong southerly winds and flames as high as trees," said long-time resident Wayne Demarco.
Long-time Winmalee local Jean Cooling had been monitoring the nearby blaze, but told the ABC its onset still took her by surprise.
"It just happened so quickly. It was just unbelievable," Ms Cooling said.
"The back caught fire. The garden at the front started catching on fire. So we just jumped in the car and ran."
Ms Cooling is no stranger to bushfires, having dealt with them since she moved into her Blue Mountains home 36 years ago, but the ferocity and speed of this fire caught her off guard.
"I was scared ... I knew the house was gone because it was already on fire when we left," she said.
Kim Smith and her family spent part of Friday going through the wreckage of her father's Winmalee home. She says her elderly father got away just in time on Thursday afternoon.
"He's lived here over 30 years. He built the house, every single brick and tile and yep, that's it. It's done and dusted for him," she said.
"He was putting out spot fires in the backyard and he said as quick as he'd throw a bucket of water on a spot fire or a tree, another one was popping up behind him.
"He said the heat and the intensity of the wind was unbearable and that's what frightened him to get out. He was worried for his life."
Financial relief for victims
The Federal Government will provide relief payments of up to $1,000 to per adult and $400 per child.
"I just want to say how sorry we are, on behalf of the people and the Parliament of Australia, for the heartache which so many hundreds of people in NSW are currently dealing with," he said.
Norm Archer, director of emergency services for the Salvation Army, says financial help is needed to provide assistance to people affected by the fires.
"The most valuable asset right now is money. The people that have been through this experience need the dignity to rebuild their own lives in the way they need to, so funds like this lets the Salvos help people in the precise way they need the help," he said.
"Also there is a practical issue here. We have had people in previous experiences and events say we've of got some brand new fridges, but the people have had their home burnt to the ground don't have anywhere to put a fridge.
"So it's timing, and by far cash is the best offer."