Salim Mehajer 'unfit to attend' court to face assault charges after car accident in Sydney

Salim Mehajer 'unfit to attend' court to face assault charges after car accident in Sydney

Salim Mehajer 'unfit to attend' court to face assault charges after car accident in Sydney

Updated 17 October 2017, 13:00 AEDT

Lawyers for flamboyant Sydney property developer Salim Mehajer produce a medical certificate to prove he is unable to attend court to answer assault charges, but police say they are unable to contact the doctor who signed it.

Lawyers for flamboyant Sydney property developer Salim Mehajer have produced a medical certificate, at a magistrate's request, to prove he is unable to attend proceedings for a second day to face charges he assaulted a taxi driver.

A medical certificate, signed by a Doctor Cheng, stated a car accident in which Mr Mehajer was involved had exacerbated an existing back injury and that he was unfit to attend court for another week, the Downing Centre local court was told.

His lawyer Mahmoud Abbas told magistrate Vivien Swain that Mr Mehajer had been discharged from Westmead Hospital last night after being injured in a car accident on the way to court yesterday.

Police prosecutor Amin Assaad said his staff had tried "at least five times" to telephone the telephone number given on the medical certificate but had been unable to reach Dr Cheng to verify the facts.

"It is probably a busy morning, Your Honour," Mr Assaad told Ms Swain.

Mr Abbas said Mr Mehajer had undergone spinal surgery five to six months ago.

The magistrate noted that Mr Mehajer was receiving treatment for his injuries and adjourned the case until the next available date, January 31 next year.

Mr Mehajer is accused of assaulting a taxi driver outside the Star Casino on April 2 by throwing the driver's EFTPOS machine at him.

He is also accused of stealing the driver's phone and throwing it out of the car.

Yesterday he was loaded onto a stretcher and taken to hospital for scans after a car crash at Lidcombe in Sydney's west while on his way to court.

Outside court yesterday, one of his lawyers said Mr Mehajer had been a passenger in the vehicle that crashed, however vision from the scene showed his client being removed from the driver's seat of the Mercedes SUV.

A second assault charge against Mr Mehajer involving the alleged deliberate jamming of a reporter's arm in the door of a car has also been adjourned until February 2018.

Mr Mehajer also denies that charge.

He will remain on bail.