Gabrielle Maina's mother breaks her silence, saying she will 'never get over' daughter's death

Gabrielle Maina's mother breaks her silence, saying she will 'never get over' daughter's death

Gabrielle Maina's mother breaks her silence, saying she will 'never get over' daughter's death

Updated 19 November 2017, 9:05 AEDT

Gabrielle Maina's mother speaks about the moment "she just went cold" when told her daughter had been shot, and urges Kenyan authorities to continue investigating the execution-style murder.

The mother of Australian woman Gabrielle Maina has spoken of the moment "she just went cold" after learning of her daughter's execution-style shooting death in Nairobi.

Speaking for the first time, Janet Flanagan said she did not believe her daughter's husband had any involvement in the death.

Ms Maina, 40, was shot dead while walking home on October 19.

The teacher was a popular member of the community in Karen, and Kenyan police initially arrested her estranged husband Cyrus Bernard Maina Njuguna and his cousin John Njuguna Waithira in connection to her murder.

"I couldn't believe it, I am very fond of Cyrus and I've had a lot to do with him in the past and I didn't believe it," Ms Flanagan said.

They were later released without charge.

The calls and text messages of both men — who maintain their innocence — continue to be analysed by detectives.

"I would hope [the police] will keep investigating until they catch whoever did it," Ms Flanagan said.

Ms Maina moved to Kenya in 2015 and was the head teacher at Hillcrest Preparatory School.

A post-mortem found she died from a single gunshot wound to the neck.

The bullet travelled down her body and exited through her back, leading to her lawyer to suggest she had been kneeling before being shot.

'I just went cold'

Ms Flanagan, who lives in Foster, said she learnt of her daughter's death after waking to a flood of phone calls and messages from friends.

"Somebody was saying, 'Oh my god, we're so sorry' and straight away my heart dropped and I thought there's something wrong with Gabi," Ms Flanagan said.

"It's broken my heart and I will never get over it."

Ms Maina was separated from her husband. The couple's two children are living with him.

"I just went cold," Ms Flanagan said.

"A policeman came around and told me what happened and asked me if there was anything he could do for me.

"I said: Not unless you can raise people from the dead.

"Nobody could do anything but bring her back."

Gabrielle Maina's death was initially believed to be a botched robbery as her handbag and mobile phone were stolen.

Police are now investigating a possible link between the shooting death of Ms Maina and an armed robbery on the same road in March this year.

Ms Maina was remembered at a memorial held in her home town of Armidale last week.

"She was a strong woman," Ms Maina's brother Simon Phillips said in a eulogy.

"In a world that too often shows too little respect and too little love towards women, she showed immense courage and tenacity to live a life committed to the nourishment of all."